Tri State Imports
Thank you for Viewing the site. What you are seeing as a guest is only a fraction of what the site has to offer. Please become a member to enjoy what we have to offer in its entirety.

Don't forget to check us out on Facebook at

https://www.facebook.com/TriStateImportscom
Tri State Imports
Thank you for Viewing the site. What you are seeing as a guest is only a fraction of what the site has to offer. Please become a member to enjoy what we have to offer in its entirety.

Don't forget to check us out on Facebook at

https://www.facebook.com/TriStateImportscom
Tri State Imports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ohio, Indiana. And Kentucky Import Hot Spot

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec

Go down 
+3
fabricator
Tony Pajamas
EGDoPe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
EGDoPe
Just settling in
Just settling in
EGDoPe

Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec Empty
PostSubject: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Before I went to edgewater thursday my cars speedometer would just stop working and start working randomly.
When it wasnt working my 2 step was kicking in while I was driving so I was unable to take my car past 3k rpm.
After driving it a little I could go past 3k rpm but only by pushing the throttle slowly but vtec didnt work. Thursday the speedo was working so I decided to run at TNL.
After I spun all threw 1st and 2nd gear I shifted into 3rd, my speedo quit and I just shifted into 4th becuase od the 2 step issue. I pulled my speedo sensor plug out and it was corroded. I plugged it back in and it hasnt worked since.

My question is what could be the cause for my 2 step to kick in and my speedo to stop working. I plan on getting a new plug soon to see if that fixes anything
Ive heard VSS, alternator, ecu issues, and the speedo sensor
Back to top Go down
Tony Pajamas
Just settling in
Just settling in
Tony Pajamas

PostSubject: Re: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:04 am

I'm thinking that sounds like a bad ecu, might check down by your ecu and make sure there aren't any wires that are pinched.
Back to top Go down
EGDoPe
Just settling in
Just settling in
EGDoPe

PostSubject: Re: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 12:40 pm

What would cause the speedo to stop and that to be in sync with each other?
Back to top Go down
fabricator
Admin
fabricator

PostSubject: Re: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:49 pm

VSS is the most likely culprit. and if the plug was corroded i would replace both. to much resistance causing the exsisting sensor to overwork itself

The output signal from the VSS goes to both the Speedo and the PCM. If the sensor has failed or is intermittently working, the proper signal is not being sent to the speedo and to the pcm and depending how your 2-step is set up(i'm assuming through Crome,uberdata or some other type of freeware) the erratic signal voltage is screwing up your 2-step.

On another note i've seen diode failures in H and F series alternators cause similar issues, but less likely.
Back to top Go down
EGDoPe
Just settling in
Just settling in
EGDoPe

PostSubject: Re: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 2:39 am

fabricator wrote:
VSS is the most likely culprit. and if the plug was corroded i would replace both. to much resistance causing the exsisting sensor to overwork itself

The output signal from the VSS goes to both the Speedo and the PCM. If the sensor has failed or is intermittently working, the proper signal is not being sent to the speedo and to the pcm and depending how your 2-step is set up(i'm assuming through Crome,uberdata or some other type of freeware) the erratic signal voltage is screwing up your 2-step.

On another note i've seen diode failures in H and F series alternators cause similar issues, but less likely.

I love smart people like you Smile

Im gonna go chnage the plug and vss tomorrow and we'll see what happens
Back to top Go down
EGDoPe
Just settling in
Just settling in
EGDoPe

PostSubject: Re: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Fabricator should I replace the whole VSS?
Ebay VSS
Or the plug?
Autozone Plug

I was litteraly driving to the salvage yard and it started working again lol but im still gonna replace it. I went to 3 yards and nobody had a prelude :/

Could I use a b series VSS?
If I get a H series VSS does it have to be 5 spd?
Back to top Go down
sonicivic
Just settling in
Just settling in

PostSubject: Re: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 11:15 am

ive seen the middle plug pins corrode, alot of them, like fabricator said its most likely the vss
Back to top Go down
fabricator
Admin
fabricator

PostSubject: Re: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 8:52 pm

i can't remember for sure you'd have to compqre physically. but i think thery're interchangable. but manual to maunal.. auto are slightly different.
Back to top Go down
BigNate

PostSubject: Re: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 11:43 am

if im not mistaken, thats what your two step goes by, is when the car is showing like 5mph or less. and when your vss shorts out, thats why its causing your two step to kick in. ive had the same problem once, pull the vss, check terminals. go ahead and replace it if it looks rough, and either re pin the plug you have if it looks rough, or go to a junk hard and cut one off a another car. then resodder it do ur harness.

when it happened to me, i was actually able to just clean up the vss terminals, and replace the pigtail. and it didnt give me any more problems.
Back to top Go down
Lt. Dangle
Just settling in
Just settling in

PostSubject: Re: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 3:51 pm

Yup, vss. had this problem on my ls turbo hatch years back.
Back to top Go down
Uno_Sol
Going the distance
Going the distance
Uno_Sol

PostSubject: Re: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 11:13 am

Get this problem fixed yet? I had this kindof problem in my old civic, but mine turned out to be that the vtec pressure an solenoid plugs were corroded, it caused my car to revlimit at the vtec engagement point. I replaced the plugs an it fixed the problem. Best of luck to you though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec   Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec Empty

Back to top Go down

Spedometer quits working, 2 step kicks in while driving and no vtec
Page 1 of 1